The most precious jewels you will ever have around your neck are the arms of your children. Mothers are never alone in their thoughts. Being a mother means someone brave, strong and someone very special as the mother can love someone more than herself. Motherhood is not a competition to see who has the cleverest kids, the cleanest house and healthiest dinner. It’s just the journey of you and your child. When a women knows that her journey of motherhood is going to start, apart from being excited and happy, she becomes worried, impatient, doubtful in some way. In short the journey to motherhood starts with mixed feelings so much of excitement but unpleasant physical symptoms during early and late phase of pregnancy. During the last months of pregnancy i.e. third trimester of pregnancy, expecting mothers have to deal with the physiological changes and the stress of delivery, which is tough to handle.
Physiological and Psychological changes during 3rd trimester
- Anxiety about delivery
- Back pain, aches and swelling
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Lots of movement by baby in womb
- Frequent peeing
- Hemorrhoids, tender breast
- Occasional random contraction of uterus termed “braxton hicks contractions” which is usually not painful, just a sign of preparatory for labor pain
Tips to stay healthy and comfortable in 3rd Trimester
This is the last trimester of pregnancy and time for the arrival of your angel is near. As the waiting period is not so far and not so easy as well, more and more care should be taken. Staying healthy and comfortable is challenging
- For the pain, try massage and warm water therapy. Pain can occur in every part of your body. From your back to your hips to your stomach. Take warm bath, apply warm compresses and ice pack. But you must avoid warm compresses and ice packs on your abdomen.
- Keep your back straight or slightly arched instead of leaning forward as it will give your baby and your lungs some space.
- Difficulty in sleeping is another matter of concern at this stage. This comes up as you are not getting comfort in sleeping position as the baby is getting bigger and that makes it difficult for you to breath in sleeping position. But as we know its important to get good sleep. Below are some tips for sound sleep during pregnancy.
- Do not lie on your back as it can cause heartburn or acid reflux. Left side lying position is best because this position helps uterus rotate naturally to the right during pregnancy. This position bring uterus more to the center and also improves circulation.
- Drink plenty of water to help reduce cramping at night.
- Use pillow placed between your leg or a long pillow to support your back will be helpful. You can use pregnancy pillow for better support.
- If you can not feel asleep, do not force it instead try reading books, do meditation or any other relaxing activity. You must read my article on “Dealing with stress and anxiety during pregnancy” for better insight.
- Take prenatal vitamins.
- Stay active and do pelvic floor muscle exercises for easy labor.
- Eat fruits, veggies, low fat protein and fibers.
“Giggles, curls, ribbons and bows babies are so adorable from head to toe”